OSSC primarly for PS2 use?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC primarly for PS2 use?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    drojman
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’m really tempted to get an OSSC. I am lucky enough to have a lovely old 14″ Amiga monitor which I use for my older consoles, but I find with PS2 games, or games from that era, it’s just a little small.

Unfortunately as you all well know, the PS2 doesn’t look all that wonderful on my flat screen. So I was thinking of picking up an OSSC. I have confirmed my TV supports all modes of the OSSC, I was just wondering if people consider it worth it for that specific use. I would also use it for my PS1, but PS2 is the main thing.

Thank you.

NoAffinity
    Participant

I haven’t fully dug into the ps2 yet…still noobing my way through all of my consoles and so far getting some amazing results from snes, dreamcast and Saturn. But I did find the “forcing progressive scan via component” technique for some games and of course the ossc handles them perfectly. The games that dont have the option, I’m also curious to know if 240p via scart is a given on all games or if that too is only some games.

If you’re going to be playing primarily 480i games, the ossc deinterlacing isnt the focus of the ossc, tho. It does decent deinterlacing while maintaining its ultimate promise of low lag.
    Think of it as: trading a TV’s more intensive deinterlacing process for the ossc’s “lighter” deinterlacing process.

So, I guess the question is: what games will you primarily be playing and will you be happy with low lag/lag free play as opposed to probably cleaner deinterlacing from a digital TV ut at the expense of greater lag?

ErebusMaligan
    Participant

By default most of the games on a PS2 are going to be 480i, and while I’m a huge fan of the OSSC, its deinterlacing is… concerning. For me personally it causes some serious (though so far temporary) burn in on my monitors due to the high flicker rate. So if 480i is your primary use, I wouldn’t recommend it personally.

On the other hand, feeding it to pretty much any other de-interlacer, and THEN to the OSSC as 480p looks great. This is especially true if you want to add scanlines, or if you have a final processor or display that handles 480p x2 mode (with or without scanlines).

I have a DVDO Duo and I’d recommend that over the OSSC if it was exclusively for PS2, they can occasionally be found for a decent price.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Yeah OSSC wouldn’t be my first choice for PS2 to be honest, just because of the systems heavy reliance on interlace. On some games, and depending on your entire processing chain and final display, it can work wonders, but generally speaking, for 480i games the XRGB Mini is still king.

ErebusMaligan
    Participant

Yeah, it really depends on how you are trying to balance cost/availability/simplicity/quality

I started with an XRGB mini, and while i personally rarely use it anymore, i’d still recommend it to someone starting out for it’s numerous options and high compatibility with pretty much everything. It’s inherent noise in solid colors issue though, drives me nuts now. It’s something I just can’t un-see (although it’s not as evident on stuff above 240p if you aren’t looking for it). Although to be fair i could never get scanlines to look right to me on it, and those would probably hide that noise. It is however, pricier than an OSSC, so YMMV.

For overall preference though, I’d recommend an OSSC feeding into a DVDO machine of some kind. Though again this costs more than just an OSSC obviously.

My personal chain for PS2 480i is a Videon Omega One -> OSSC -> DVDO. This is the only way I could get scanlines to look the way i want them. The Omega One seems pretty rare though.

Galdelico
    Participant

Yeah, it really depends on how you are trying to balance cost/availability/simplicity/quality

Exactly. It’s all down to personal tases and preferences: as for myself, I immediately loved how simple Line2X bob-deinterlaced, coupled with thick scanlines, looked on my monitors… It gave me a strong CRT feel, while keeping the perceivable flicker to a minimum degree (once again, not much differently from my experience on CRT displays).

That said, it was actually me bringing down this ‘after flicker’ apocalypse, last year or so, over at SHMUPS Formus, and – thanks to the precious help of people like Xyga and Thomago – we found out this nasty side effect is ultimately tied to the display itself, not properly ’caused’ by the OSSC (quick and dirty proof: the temporary image retention can also be replicated on the New Nintendo 3DS XL’s IPS screen, with games such as 3D Galaxy Force II, as well as on the Nintendo DSi XL).

That’s the reason why, in the end, I decided to stick with a TN panel, for my retro (and entirely OSSC-driven) setup. The loss in terms of image quality becomes more than acceptable, to me, when it comes to convenience and flexibility.

robert_prado
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I just bought the OSSC too (it didnt arrived yet, i live in Brazil)

To take advantage of the topic friend drojman, i have one question too.
    This will be my setup:
    PS One -> SCART RGB cable with sync_on_luma -> OSSC
    PS2 Fat -> Original component cable from Sony -> OSSC (MLiG said that we dont have a Winner between RGB and Component, in PS2)
    OSSC -> HDMI -> Dell Monitor 24″

My doubt is: The component cable have 5 conectors, 3 for vídeo and 2 for audio (correct me if i am wrong). The OSSC have the 3 inputs for component video, but how it will handle the audio from the PS2?

drojman
    Participant

Thank you very much for all the responses everyone.

Seems like an OSSC on it’s own might not be for me then. I need to do some more reading.

AS for what games I would use, it’s mostly MGS2/3, Yakuza etc. I’m not a big fighting game player, so input lag isn’t a huge concern for me. My tv has about 27ms as it is, so it’s not perfect, but I’m fairly tolerant of lag.

Has anyone tried ossc with MGS3 on a big screen? To me that is the game that suffers most. Walking around in those grassy environments, the aliasing if out of control. On my smaller screen it looks fine, but the screen is too small really for all the detail.

Thanks.

ErebusMaligan
    Participant

The OSSC have the 3 inputs for component video, but how it will handle the audio from the PS2?

You can hook this up to the Audio port around the corner from the scart socket, input as long as you toggle the switch. You will need a 3.5mm male to 2 rca female adapter

robert_prado
    Participant

Thanks a lot @ErebusMaligan!
    I’ll buy this adaptor

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

For overall preference though, I’d recommend an OSSC feeding into a DVDO machine of some kind.

It’s a good combo but not without its drawbacks too. I’d say XRGBs deinterlacing was slightly better overall, though people seem to prefer the DVDOs game mode deinterlacing (less flicker than the OSSC on its own I believe).

DVDOs do tend to have a small amount of jitter when upscaling. The more upscaling the more jitter.

nmalinoski
    Participant

The OSSC have the 3 inputs for component video, but how it will handle the audio from the PS2?

You can hook this up to the Audio port around the corner from the scart socket, input as long as you toggle the switch. You will need a 3.5mm male to 2 rca female adapter

Just make sure you get a stereo adapter and not a mono Y-adapter/splitter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.