OSSC to Framemeister for PS2

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC to Framemeister for PS2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Keiyuu
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m currently using an OSSC for my PS2 with a RGB SCART sync-on-luma cable. Means I’m using RGsB for 480p games.
    Now I’m thinking about getting a Framemeister since its deinterlacing is superior for 480i signals and to get rid of the flicker I’m currently getting with the OSSC.
    Now the problem is that I’m not entirely sure how to hook it up in my current setup without having to switch cables all the time for 480i and 480p sources. I’d prefer to have it all in one chain. As far as I know the Framemeister won’t accept RGsB and I don’t want to use Component if I can avoid it. Also, the Framemeister doesn’t even seem to be that great when it comes to upscaling 480p from what I’ve read.
    I thought about using the following setup and would like to know if this is possible:

PS2 –RGB SCART–> OSSC –HDMI–> Framemeister –HDMI–>

Will I be able to use RGsB for 480p games through the OSSC (either passthrough or x2 for 960p) and feed that output to the Framemeister which then uses HDMI passthrough without doing anything to the signal and without adding any additional lag?
    For 480i games I’d like to use passthrough on the OSSC and let the Framemeister do the upscaling.

Does this setup make sense and will it work like that without adding any noticeable input lag to the chain?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Last time I checked the FM added some lag and noise even to the HDMI passthrough, it also makes the handshake take longer, so more delay between 480i/240p switches.

In my setup I split the RGB before the scalers and route to each separately.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Will I be able to use RGsB for 480p games through the OSSC (either passthrough or x2 for 960p) and feed that output to the Framemeister which then uses HDMI passthrough without doing anything to the signal and without adding any additional lag?
    For 480i games I’d like to use passthrough on the OSSC and let the Framemeister do the upscaling.

Does this setup make sense and will it work like that without adding any noticeable input lag to the chain?

To start with, since you already have the OSSC, I suggest:
    * Setting 480i/576i proc to passthrough to let your TV deinterlace; and
    * enabling automatic input switching, so that the OSSC will automatically pick up the switches between RGBS and RGsB.

If your TV accepts 480i over HDMI, then that setup will let you continue to use RGB from the PS2 and get deinterlacing of 480i without having to buy anything. You can also try setting 480p/576p proc to line2x (960p), and/or 480i/576i proc to line3x (1440i), but your TV may not like those modes.

If, however, your TV does not like 480i (neither passthrough nor line3x) over HDMI, then, yeah, you’ll need a video processor in between. Most scalers that would help you are going to add a small amount of lag (at least 1 frame) and will suffer from HDMI blackouts during mode changes.

Personally, for a time*, I’ve used an Extron DSC 301 HD with my PS2 (Well, really everything running through my OSSC), which has worked well for me, and looks good to me, but other (and more knowledgeable) people have said that its deinterlacing is not good, and, if you have the OSSC chained into its HDMI input, you can expect HDMI blackouts to take about 3 full, agonizing seconds (versus about 1 full second using the VGA input via an active HDMI to VGA converter).

(*I say for a time, because my processing chain is currently in disarray and needs to be redone.)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.