OSSC+Dreamcast: current best configuration?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC+Dreamcast: current best configuration?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Galdelico
    Participant

Hi all,
    I was wondering: What would the current, ideal Dreamcast device to combine with the OSSC be, for someone who doesn’t necessarily look for the best possible picture quality, but instead is aiming to convenience and full compatibility?

What I mean is: it’s known how there are some games (I’m talking about NTSC and PAL games in general, here) that aren’t VGA compatible, others that don’t support RGB, on top of a very few that won’t accept either output.
    That said – while I expect the RetroTINK 2X to be the definitive option, allowing to feed S-Video directly to the OSSC – is there anything around, at the moment, that can be used for VGA or RGB compatible software in one go, so without swapping cables/devices? And also using original GDroms (I’m one of those who don’t like to play with patched ISOs and such)?
    Are those Akura/Gekko boxes worthy additions to the OSSC, or are they meant for straight DC-to-TV setups?

Thanks in advance!

nmalinoski
    Participant

If you want full compatibility while using original GD-ROMs at the expense of video quality, it will probably have to be the RT2X with S-Video, plus an active HDMI to VGA converter (like those by Portta or Tendak) to connect it to the OSSC. You also have the option of using the RT2X directly with your TV, but you’re limited to line-doubling (need the OSSC for 3x/4x/5x).

If you’re willing to forego original GD-ROMs, you can swap out your GD drive with an optical drive emulator, like the GDEMU (Which you should buy directly from its creator, instead of one of the Chinese knockoffs), which will let you force VGA for titles that don’t normally support it, and it will let you run modified disc images for that handful of games that don’t support RGB. It also supports a button combination to reset the system for changing games without having to get up. A GDEMU (or USB-GDROM, really) combined with something like the BeharBros Toro (Or even the HDMI mod below) should get you full compatibility and at 480p.

There’s also an HDMI modification in the works for the Dreamcast, which will provide HDMI output directly from the console, can be used with either original GD-ROMs or an ODE, and does not interfere with the original analogue output. I’m not sure how it handles that handful of games that don’t support RGB; I imagine it will digitize and optionally line-double them just as it will with the RGB-but-not-VGA-compatible games, but, if it somehow doesn’t, you’d still have the option of using S-Video into an RT2X. Games that don’t normally support RGB are output the same way, so the DreamcastHDMI has full compatibility.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

You’re over-complicating things Nmalinoski. Use the Toro with a RGB SCART cable and the OSSC supports all resolutions and games. Occasionally you will have to flip the switch on the Toro to toggle between 15khz and 31khz but that’s all. No need for ODEs etc unless you want to.

Galdelico
    Participant

Thanks guys, appreciated your help. 😉

@BuckoA51
    – I guess nmalinoski didn’t mention the Toro because (as far as I read… There are different boxes from the same manufacturer, so I might be wrong here) the switch trick often glitches things up to an extent that makes the game barely playable.

While I hope to be able and get an RT2X with the first sale on VGP, that HDMI-out solution in the work sounds pretty neat!

Teddy Rogers
    Participant

There is a way you can make life easier using the Dreamcast and OSSC with just one cable. However you will still need to manually switch between 15/31khz occasionally for those few games that don’t support VGA, if you have them in your collection. My setup is currently a Dreamcast directly connected to an OSSC using a scart cable with 15/31khz selector switch wired in the cable. There is a sync combiner installed in the scart plug for RGBS output. At first I couldn’t get the OSSC to work with the Dreamcast in RGBS as it kept dropping out of sync causing the screen to flicker. To fix this I soldered on pin 20 of the scart plug a 470ohm resistor in series with a 220uF capacitor. This stopped the flickering. On top of that I had to set analogue sync LPF to its highest filter setting (2.5mhz). Having done this I now only need one cable. When I need to use it for non-VGA titles I simply operate the switch on the cable and I’m good to go. There is no need for Toro or any other device and the picture quality is fantastic coming out of the OSSC…

Ted.

Galdelico
    Participant

Hi Ted, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately – with my soldering skills dramatically close to zero XD – it’s not going to make things any easier to me (unless there is a way to purchase a ready-to-go version of your cable, with the resistor and the capacitor already installed).

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

@buckoa51 – I guess nmalinoski didn’t mention the Toro because (as far as I read… There are different boxes from the same manufacturer, so I might be wrong here) the switch trick often glitches things up to an extent that makes the game barely playable.

Yes but you don’t need the switch trick on account of the OSSC supporting all resolutions.

nmalinoski
    Participant

I did mention the Toro, but I’m not aware of any capability for it to put CVBS or YC onto the SCART or DE-15 ports (I simply don’t know if it can or does; it’s only advertised as an RGB device), and Galdelico specifically wants full compatibility using the original GD-ROMs, including the handful of games that do not support RGB, so I didn’t recommend it outright with those parameters.

Of course, like I said, if you’re willing to forego using the original discs–rip them to .gdi with a second Dreamcast if you like–and use a GDEMU with patched versions of those games, then the Toro works fine. I personally have my Dreamcast fitted with a GDEMU and a Toro, with the Toro configured to output 480p over SCART and the GDEMU configured to force VGA; this kind of setup should be able to play anything.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

including the handful of games that do not support RGB

Which games are these?

Galdelico
    Participant

A few, unfortunately:

Skies of Arcadia/Eternal Arcadia (US/JP)
    Giga Wing (US/JP)
    first print of Street Fighter Zero 3 (JP)
    Super Street Fighter 2 X: Grandmaster Challenge for Matching Service (JP)
    Touken Retsuden 4 (JPN)
    Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service (JPN)
    Illbleed (can’t remember which version)

I’m sure I’m forgetting some other ones…

nmalinoski
    Participant

From RetroRGB:

I know that probably sounds crazy, but a few game discs will output composite and S-Video, but not RGB! This can be fixed with an ISO patch, however the very few games which are effected won’t run in RGB from their original discs. Here’s some games that are effected, as well as a forum link to fixes:

Effected Games (most): Giga Wing, Skies of Arcadia/Eternal Arcadia, Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3, Super Street Fighter 2 X, Touken Retsuden 4 , Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service, Pop ‘n’ Musci (all 4).

Links: http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/11538-What-NTSC-Dreamcast-games-are-non-RGB-compatible

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Weird I am sure I’ve played Giga Wing and SF Alpha 3 and I haven’t used anything but VGA or RGB in years.

Is it only US/Japanese GigaWing affected?

nmalinoski
    Participant

I believe the regions specified are the ones that are affected, so if you’ve been playing PAL versions of Giga Wing and SF Alpha 3, then you may very well have played them using RGB/VGA.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Definitely Giga, can’t remember on Street Fighter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.