Passive/Manual HDMI Switch Compatible with NTSC SNES on OSSC

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Passive/Manual HDMI Switch Compatible with NTSC SNES on OSSC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Poeskas
    Participant

So I have been using my OSSC for a couple of months, and I love it. However, I have it hooked up to a monitor with a single HDMI input. I purchased a Zetaguard HDMI switch box, and it plays nice for the most part. However, I lose sync when my NTSC SNES is connected to this switch box (shocking stuff, I know). It works 100% fine without it, so I know it’s the switch box that is causing the sync issue. Also, every other system works 100% with this switchbox, but I digress. My feeling is that my current HDMI switchbox, and indeed almost every other automatic switchbox on the market now attempt to do some sort of modification to the signal or introduce some minor image processing that is creating a breakdown in my video chain.

So, to cut to the chase: my question is, does anyone know of any simple, passive/unpowered/manual HDMI switches on the market that I might use that won’t modify the signal in any way? Preferably a mechanical switch similar in principle of manual switches like Selecty21.

Thanks very much for your help!

nmalinoski
    Participant

My understanding is that there are no passive HDMI switchers; every HDMI switcher does some level of processing, I imagine at the very least to understand the signal and relay communication between the device and the display.

The SNES is widely known to have a jittery sync, which is not accepted by all devices, particularly digital ones, and the NTSC SNES runs at a 60.08Hz framerate, which can cause its own problems. Since you’re not experiencing problems with the SNES+OSSC directly to the display (have you tried 5x?), I agree that it’s the switcher at fault, which appears less tolerant of either the sync or the framerate.

If you haven’t already installed a dejitter mod in your SNES, I would start there; but, if the switch doesn’t like the framerate, then you’ll need to get a different switcher, like the ViewHD Prosumer 4×1.

Poeskas
    Participant

Yeah, it works great at 5x when directly connected to the monitor with no loss of sync. I understand what you are saying, though. And I was afraid that might be the case. Thank you for your help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.