OSSC – SNES Garbled Picture

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support OSSC – SNES Garbled Picture

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michaelsft
    Participant

EDIT: Audio issue resolved – just the SNES Picture. Wondered if there were any SNES specific settings I forgot about or something…

Hi all, my SNES is completely fubar. It was just fine last night and it hasn’t been moved or anything. If I press buttons I can see the pattern change so it’s reading the cart OK I’m sure.

Any ideas? All systems use RGB Scart into the OCCS and all others are working fine.

SNES

Thanks for reading.

Morpheus_79
    Participant

What firmware revision does the first line of the display of your OSSC show, after turning it on? Does it say ‘OSSC fw. 0.81’… or does it say ‘OSSC fw. 0.81a’?

michaelsft
    Participant

Thanks for replying!

Morpheus_79
    Participant

0.81 is the firmware WITHOUT audio support (for older OSSCs)… 0.81a is the firmware WITH audio support (for newer OSSCs… and older OSSCs with an audio upgrade board). You should use the the ‘ossc_0.81-aud.bin’ from here:

https://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mhiienka/ossc/fw/

… to update your firmware to 0.81a. After that audio should just work fine.

michaelsft
    Participant

Thanks for the tip – that got the sound on alright. The issue with my SNES remains – I guess it’s either console or cable…

It was fine last night, what a pain 🙁

Morpheus_79
    Participant

Do you have any audio with that garbled picture?

All systems use RGB Scart into the OCCS and all others are working fine.

Then the problem is (most likely) related to the SNES itself… since the HDMI connection seems to be fine and an analog RGB connection can’t produce such kind of picture distortion. I would rule out wrong OSSC settings too… except your TV has such crazy reactions for feeding it with “strange” resolutions (did it happen with every scaling option: 2x-5x?).

If possible you should check the picture with an analog TV to find out, if your SNES already outputs this garbled mess. And do some tests with different game cartridges (since the cartridge could be broken… or the the cartridge slot could be dirty). Even if your SNES is the culprit, different games can give a hint on what’s broken because of the hardware functions they use:

http://projectvb.com/nss/logs.htm

michaelsft
    Participant

Garbled audio too – I’ve ordered a replacement 1 Chip from a repair guy who had one in stock – I’ll get an AV cable as well and test this one but if it’s still rubbish (and it’s like this on all carts already) then it’ll likely go in the bin 🙁 can’t imagine anyone wanting to buy it even for a tenner!

Thanks for your help Morpheus – much obliged.

paulb_nl
    Participant

Don’t throw it away. A broken SNES can be used for parts. Broken consoles are sold on eBay all the time.

Have you been using any repro/counterfeit carts?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.