PSX Silent Hill on PS2 – extreme dithering help

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support PSX Silent Hill on PS2 – extreme dithering help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dumpling
    Participant

Hello all!

I’m interested to know if the OSSC has a nifty setting to magically reduce the severe dottyness (dithering?) of the PSX Silent Hill played on a PS2.
    I’m guessing probably only a CRT will make this game look less turd. Just thought I’d put it out there though.
    Could those scaling filters remedy a bit of the dithering?
    I have a Sony KDL-46W2000 and a Samsung UE49MU8000 and am using component cables.

Many thanks,

nmalinoski
    Participant

It’s a problem with a lot of PlayStation games, and not just when played on a PS2. It normally needs to be patched out of the game, and I imagine anything that would blur the dithering would blur everything else, which I think would be undesirable.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty good thread on the topic here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61746&hilit=dither

If your PS2 will run backups, you can use crazymanzor’s de-dither patch utility to patch out the dithering effect. I believe the consensus is that most games benefit visually, although there have been documented instances where, as nmalinski said, the result is undesirable. There’s some good screenshots in that thread as well (yes, I’m shamelessly plugging some of my own contributions). Worst case scenario, you can try it out and if you don’t like it compared to unpatched, then go back to the original disk.

Dumpling
    Participant

Cool. My PS2 isn’t chipped or anything, but I’ll look into it.
    Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.