Question 480i for Gamecube

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Nico128
    Participant

I can’t post a message. There is a bug ?
      Here my message…. https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/v9g9NhwG7C/

BuckoA51
      Keymaster

You’re posting too many links and the system thinks you’re trying to spam.

The flickering you see with 480i bob deinterlacing happens on a real CRT too.

Nico128
        Participant

Hi.

My advice.

If you want to good quality, there are different alternatives. softmodded Wii or Wii U, to use a NTSC Gamecube (instead of force 480p using Swiss with maybe bad compatibility), or eventually to play on an emulator, there are some improvements /HD textures and it looks better than the original console.

Now you are wondering if the OSSC can improve the quality of the PAL Gamecube. Personally, for my situation, it doesn’t.

My settings: PAL Gamecube (+Swiss), Component cable, OSSC, LCD (102cm)

• 480i passtrough: looks good. I could connect directly my GC to the TV without OSSC, but I have a bad component Samsung cable and the quality is degraded.
          • 480i 2x: the image is “flickering”, it really anoying when reading texts on screen. See the video in my 1st message. There is a comparison.

Forced 480p with Swiss

• 480p passtrough: looks good. On my TV I haven’t noticed the difference with 480i passtrough. Maybe there is one, but it didn’t shock me.
          • 480p 2x: looks also good. The image isn’t flickering anymore! There is a difference with 480p passtrough but I cannot say if it’s better or worse. That’s subjectiv. The image is “smooth”. I prefer this setting, the colors and the pixels are less “sharp”

EDIT: problem found. Sharpness was set to 50% and “Edge enhancement” was enabled.
          These caused a sharp picture in passtrough mode. Also for 480i, these caused the image flickering!
          Once these options disabled, all was perfect.

Nico128
          Participant

to delete

Nico128
            Participant

480p passtrough
              480p passtrough

480p 2x
              480p 2x

Nico128
              Participant

480p passtrough
                480p passtrough

480p 2x
                480p 2x

marcusfrewinridley
                Participant

This is great!! Thank you!

BuckoA51
                  Keymaster

That with allow upsample on or off?

There appears to be a huge amount of ringing on the 480p shots, perhaps that TV doesn’t handle 480p so well or you could have the sharpness control jacked up?

The more important things to consider with 480i are when the image is in motion. Well deinterlaced 480i should look as good as 480p on a static image, but when things start to move everything changes of course.

Nico128
                    Participant

Hi BuckoA51. Thank you for your hint!! I checked and sharpness was set to 50% and “Edge enhancement” was enabled.
                      These caused a sharp picture in passtrough mode. Also for 480i, these caused the image flickering!
                      Once these options disabled, all was perfect.

I did a new video

First, 480p passtrough with sharpness/edge enhancement disabled. The image is almost perfectly stable. I like it!
                      Then I set the sharpness to 50%. The image is flinkering
                      And finally I added the edge enhancement. It’s flinkering more, unplayable!

BuckoA51
                      Keymaster

You should set sharpness to 0 on most sets unless you enjoy ringing or false contouring. There are some sets where lower values blur the image though and of course you don’t want that.

Edge enhancement works differently on different sets, but you definitely want to start with it off (should be off in game mode anyway) and go from there.

Check with something like 240p test suite, the correct setting should not blur the image nor add ringing/false contouring.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.