Reading wrong resolution since 0.81 update

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Reading wrong resolution since 0.81 update

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    noodohs
    Participant

I recently updated to the 0.81-aud firmware and it seems to be working fine except that it’s saying my games are now 525i or 263p, which just isn’t true. My consoles are all NTSC consoles and run at 240p or 480i/p. No idea why it is suddenly saying my games are running at PAL resolutions. Anyone else notice this?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

OSSC reports the line count rather than the resolution so those numbers are accurate.

noodohs
    Participant

It’s not though. Every system that has always displayed 480p in the past is now saying 525p. So far I’ve seen it on both PS1 (intro screen reading 525i) and the Dreamcast (which is reading 525p). I’m not aware of either of these NTSC systems every displaying that many lines. And indeed, my TV says it is 480p, too. GameCube, which has a GCDual in it, says 448 on the screen but 525p on the OSSC. Just the OSSC that seems confused.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Again, 525i/p and 625i/p are correct as far as the line counts, and this is the default output for the display.

Perhaps you had previously hit the Info button your remote to change which info the OSSC displays? There might be an alternate view that shows video mode (in terms of 480i/p); if that’s the case, updating the firmware, which resets all settings to factory default, would have reverted this display to line count.

noodohs
    Participant

Why would it display the number of lines instead of the resolution? The options in the menu are for 240 and 480, and yet the display is going to say 263 or 525? That makes no sense and is extremely confusing. No, I had never hit the info button.

nmalinoski
    Participant

The menu items apply to the video modes, not line counts, hence the usage of 240, 480, etc.

Line count is not the same thing. Depending on the console and the video signal it outputs, “240p” could end up being 261, 262, or 263 lines. Knowing line count can be useful for debugging display issues, though I agree that it’s of limited use to most OSSC owners. Now, why, precisely, the display defaults to this over the display mode is certainly a valid question, but I think only marqs can answer it with any authority.

I’m not sure what kind of configuration your OSSC had, or which firmware you upgraded from, but my 1.6 unit came with 0.78, and it always defaulted to showing the line count.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

OSSC has always reported the line count. I don’t think there’s any way for it to know the resolution as such.

noodohs
    Participant

Maybe I just never looked at it before… I did at least verify that the settings change things, so I guess that’s just how it is.

I mean, it has to know the resolution because it knows what settings to apply based on that. If I had to guess, it just doesn’t translate that on the screen because it would use up memory to code it to do that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.