Recommended SCART Splitter

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Recommended SCART Splitter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Roaziel
    Participant

So I have this 8-way SCART Splitter that was originally pretty darn pricey and it advertises itself as supporting a lot, including RGB. Despite support for up to 8 outputs I really only need 2, one for my CRT TV and one for the OSSC. The output to the CRT works Great, picture looks great I’m super happy, BUT the second cable going into the OSSC fairs worse. With it, the OSSC can’t sync and looking at the display it looks like it’s having a seizure, rapidly shifting resolutions and stuff, not being able to sync. Connecting the main scart cable into the OSSC seems to work, but when going through my splitter I get nothing. So all I can assume is that my expensive 8-way SCART Splitter isn’t compatible. Can anyone recommend a better one that does work with the OSSC?

nmalinoski
    Participant

CRTs are way less finicky with weird sync signals than contemporary flat panel TVs, so chances are whatever device you’re using (would be helpful to know what devices you’re using) is outputting an off-spec sync or refresh rate that your display connected to your OSSC doesn’t like. Some issues like this can be mitigated by adjusting the OSSC’s settings.

If it’s really the splitter that’s at fault (I assume you’ve tried other combinations of ports and cables, and powering the splitter if it can be powered), and you really only need two outputs, and it needs to be SCART, I suggest a gscartsw, which has 8 SCART inputs and 2 SCART outputs and is highly regarded in the retro gaming community.

A possible alternative would be to use an Extron CrossPoint as a distribution amp/splitter. I’ve done this with success, simultaneously duplicating each of composite video, S-Video, and YPbPr to two displays; but, since you’re using RGBS, you will need to attenuate the outgoing sync signal with one of these, and you will need SCART->BNC and BNC->SCART adapters if your devices can’t accommodate BNC, RCA, or DE-15/VGA (Which are all cheaper adapters than SCART to/from anything).

Roaziel
    Participant

I’m afraid Extron is entirely too large and too expensive. Is splitting a scart cable in 2 really that expensive and cumbersome?
    By the way the scart splitter Im using is from a company called Ohmega, model number 7281. I found a manual PDF but its in swedish (thats where Im from).
    http://www.moonwebshop.se/download//bruksanvisningar/ohmega/7281.pdf

Do you think it might be possible to make it work somehow? From my limited understanding it all comes down to it not being able to sync so it cycles through possible inputs that it detects, but can I force it to use a specific input so it doesn’t have to cycle and sync on its own? Would that help?

EDIT: I just realized that my idea of fixed input wouldn’t work with games that have variable resolutions, like in menus.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Yes, they’re bulky, but you can find used Extron CrossPoints on eBay for cheap. Not too long ago, I got a CrossPoint Ultra 88 HVA (with a bunch of Extron-branded Phoenix audio connectors) for $35 USD, shipped. Another few dollars for RCA to BNC adapters, and maybe another $30 on shielded RCA leads to make RCA->Phoenix adapters for audio.

At this point, I would say it is that expensive and cumbersome to split SCART, because that format isn’t relevant to consumers anymore; everyone has moved on to HDMI, so SCART devices like splitters, switchers, and other video processors are no longer being produced en masse (or at all, really). These days, it’s easier and cheaper to adapt SCART to BNC (or DE-15/VGA) and use a BNC (or VGA) switcher/distribution amp like the CrossPoint than it is to find a quality SCART splitter/DA.

Roaziel
    Participant

So you don’t think it would be possible to make adjustments to my current setup? You mentioned something about changing settings on OSSC and that that could potentially help.
    Also I googled up y-splitter cables, do you think that this might work? If there’s no box it means it’s not processing the signal in any way so that might work, right? What do you think?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-SCART-Y-Splitter-Cable/dp/B005C9GTRM

nmalinoski
    Participant

It depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. You can try keeping your existing distribution amp, but trying different outputs to see if they fare better with the sync signal, or upgrading to boutique shielded cables from Retro Gaming Cables (Pack-a-punch, I think).

Yes, it’s possible to change the settings on the OSSC to optimize it for specific game consoles; but you still haven’t mentioned which consoles or devices you’re trying to use with the OSSC, so I can’t point you at any specific configurations to try.

I personally wouldn’t buy a passive splitter like that. Splitting the signals between two leads like that might work, or it may result in the signal being too weak for one or both of the displays. Plus, that adapter looks skinny, and it has a very low cost, which tells me it’s not shielded; an unshielded cable, especially one that length, is likely to result in visual noise and/or audio hum. You probably wouldn’t notice on your CRT, but I’m sure it’ll be noticeable through the OSSC.

Compare that with powered distribution amps and powered splitters, which are [usually] specifically designed to ensure that the incoming signal is replicated properly to each output. You’ll still want shielded cables.

Roaziel
    Participant

Well my setup is as followed:

All PAL consoles
    Mega Drive
    Saturn
    Dreamcast
    Xbox
    PS2
    Gamecube
    NES (Not RGB modded, so for now it’s not compatible with OSSC anyway)
    SNES

NTSC-J console: PC Engine CoreGrafx (also no RGB for now)

They are all hooked up to 2 Bandridge Premium 5-way SCART switchers. They are daisy chained so there’s only one SCART out, which is what I want to split so I can have it out to my CRT as well as my capture card (or HD TV).

I suppose another option would be gscartsw since it has 2 outputs, but that’s gonna be even more expensive than the OSSC, especially after shipping costs.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Which console(s) are you specifically having trouble with? All of them? Do you still get that behavior when connecting one of the consoles directly to the distribution amp/splitter?

Roaziel
    Participant

When I connect the Bandridge Switcher directly to the OSSC then all the RGB enabled consoles work (doesnt necessarily look great but I think that’s cos I need to upgrade some cables). So none of the consoles are causing the problem, they all work through the Bandridge switcher, the problem only appears when I then add the Splitter as a between-step before going into the OSSC.

nmalinoski
    Participant

It certainly sounds like the splitter is bad. If possible, I’d either exchange it for a new one or return it for a refund and spend that money on something like a gscartsw.

The newest gscartsw model plays nice with progressive scan RGB from the PS2; it can be configured to convert the RGsB from the console to RGBS, so it plays nice with downstream RGB SCART equipment.

Roaziel
    Participant

gscartsw is simply too expensive for my blood at the moment.
    Just to be clear on what happens I made this video so you can see what happen (also, I’m handicapped, so that’s why the hand looks really weird):

Harrumph
    Participant

I’d try a different power supply for the splitter, might have gone bad.

Roaziel
    Participant

Could you clarify? What is your theory?
    The power supply for the splitter came with it.

Harrumph
    Participant

There could be noise, ripples, fluctuating current or insufficient voltage coming from the adapter. This could have negative effects on sync if coupling through the cable.

Edit: I’ll add I have absolutely no authority on electronics, but power supplies are known to cause a lot of problems with video quality on various consoles, so I’m just extrapolating from there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.