Retrotink 2x -> OSSC 240p/480i transition

NewHome Forums RetroTink 2 Products Retrotink 2x -> OSSC 240p/480i transition

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pearljammzz
    Participant

I currently have an OSSC and my only complaint is that my TV still cuts out during the 240p/480i transition. I have read the retrotink is slightly faster and SOME (very, very few) TVs don’t even cutout/resync at all because it’s so fast.

My question is how does the OSSC handle this if fed from the retrotink? Is the retrotink fast enough to not cause the OSSC to resync (led flash)? If so this may be the solution for many. Does anyone have both devices and can confirm how well the transition works in this scenario?

nmalinoski
    Participant

The OSSC isn’t going to do anything differently, because it’s still changing framerate, which requires a resync; and, even if it did, this wouldn’t be a solution for anyone looking to use RGB or 31kHz+ video modes.

The only way you’re going to avoid dropouts on an HDMI setup is by using a seamless/presentation scaler, which will add at least a frame of lag.

pearljammzz
    Participant

Doesn’t the retrotink2x output a standard 480p signal though? Regardless if you feed it a Genesis, N64, PS1, or SNES it outputs a standard signal for compatibility yes? This is why I was hoping it would work well with the OSSC. The OSSC would see a standard signal and thus not have dropouts. Does the retrotink not output a standard 480p signal? Am I wrong in this?

nmalinoski
    Participant

My understanding is that the RT2X outputs a line-doubled 480p signal without affecting framerate, just as the OSSC does. It does have sync regeneration functionality, but that basically just smooths out the cadence issues with NES/SNES sync signals, and it shouldn’t be confused with framerate conversion, which is required to output a perfect 480p60 signal that survives sync drops and is beyond the RT2X’s capabilities.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

nmalinoski is right, RetroTINK can’t do anything with the frame rate.

On an N64 with a specific brand of Panasonic Plasma TV, we did see seemless transitions, which suggests RetroTINK is a fraction faster at switching than OSSC. I’ve never been able to replicate this behaviour on any other display though.

vigormortis
    Participant

If you’re lucky enough to have a cooperative display, the RetroTINK does indeed allow for instant switching between 240p and 480i when outputting in a linedouble mode.

Unfortunately, you’re not gonna get instant resyncing when the RetroTINK is connected through the OSSC, regardless of whether it’s set to passthrough or linedouble mode. I tried it myself.

If you’re in North America, TCL’s TVs from 2017 (the P607 and S405 series ) are fantastic for use with the OSSC and RetroTINK. They can handle 5x modes from OSSC even with the troublesome SNES and NES. They can also allow for seamless 480i / 240p transitions when directly connected to a RetroTINK. Input lag is around 14ms, which is just under 1 frame.

Here’s a short video I took of multiple 240p / 480i transitions on a SNES going via a RetroTINK to my TCL 55P607
    SNES 240p – 480i Transitions

pearljammzz
    Participant

Vigormortis, that’s great to hear! How does the OSSC handle those transitions on the same TV?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.