Scart to Component with OSSC to use with CRT

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Scart to Component with OSSC to use with CRT

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cbo2188
    Participant

Hey all

I’d like to try to use a Genesis on CRT through component cables. I’m in the USA. This may seem a little odd but I’m curious if I could use SCART to OSSC but output to component with some kind of HDMI-VGA adapter. I have a male VGA to component cable already. I know HD Retrovision makes cables but they are out of stock and I have the OSSC already. Thanks for your time and help!

SavagePencil
    Participant

Yes, buy a Tendak HDMI -> VGA convertor. Just to be sure, though, what brand/model is your VGA -> component convertor?

nmalinoski
    Participant

You can use an OSSC, but I think it would be easier and better to use something like a ShinyBow SB-2840; that will do a simple colorspace conversion from RGB to YPbPr component.

Trying to use an OSSC and HDMI->VGA converter is just going to be way more expensive and complicated, and you’ll still need an RGB->YPbPr converter/transcoder, because a simple, passive VGA->component adapter like what I think you have isn’t going to do any conversion. The HD Retrovision cables have circuitry in them to convert RGB to YPbPr, and most VGA->component adapters will simply pass-through the original signals.

Also, speaking of the HD Retrovision cables, while HD Retrovision’s store is still closed, it looks like CastleMania Games currently has the Genesis cables in stock.

Cbo2188
    Participant

Thanks. Sounds like I would still need a converter to get to component output with the OSSC. I only have an OSSC and a VGA to Component Cable (but no converter). I’m probably just better off buying the HD Retrovision cables then. Thanks SavagePencil and nmalinoski for your help.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Sounds like I would still need a converter to get to component output with the OSSC. I only have an OSSC and a VGA to Component Cable (but no converter).

Correct; those simple VGA to component cables are simply for changing connectors, like if you needed to run a component cable into AV3 of the OSSC, or if you had a video processor that had a DE-15 output port that could output YPbPr component video.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.