Sega Genesis Model 1 YPbPr, great video output, no sound

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Sega Genesis Model 1 YPbPr, great video output, no sound

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jeromegn
    Participant

I have a OSSC 1.6 (firmware 0.82a) and have been loving it for my SNES using HD Retrovision YPbPr cable.

I recently purchased a Genesis Model 1 (FJ8USASEGA) NTSC and figured I’d get a HD Retrovision YPbPr cable again. I also got the adapter for Model 2 to Model 1.

I can either get video or sound, but not both.

I have a Denon receiver in which I plug in the HDMI and the yellow and red audio cables in. If I start the Genesis without turning on the OSSC, I get sound out of the receiver. As soon as I turn on the OSSC I lose the sound.

I tried the 0, 2 and 5 YPbPr AV2 profiles and none of them worked right. I played with most options I could find, I never got sound while the OSSC was on (except with preset 0 for YPbPr which gave me sound but a blank screen, it showed NO SYNC on the OSSC LCD).

The headphone jack on the Genesis works though. The headphone jack on the HD Retrovision does not (not sure if it should).

I was able to get video AND sound working if I set the TX Mode to DVI. I don’t understand how that works, still outputs to HDMI! However, the output is slightly weird, seems scaled down compared to HDMI. It also started giving me red vertical lines at regular intervals after a little while. I figure that’s not the right way to do it.

Would appreciate any help! Would upgrading to the 0.83 firmware help? I have not seen anybody with this issue.

Harrumph
    Participant

able to get video AND sound working if I set the TX Mode to DVI

This indicates you dont have the correct setting on your receiver. You need to tell it to only use video from hdmi, and audio from separate audio in.

But i dont understand why you do this in the first place. Instead, get a short audio Y-adapter (rca to 3.5 mm) and plug that in the audio AV1 out/AV2 in on the OSSC and flick the small switch to set it to input, to get audio over HDMI.

plug in the HDMI and the yellow and red audio cables in

You mean white, not yellow?

jeromegn
    Participant

Well, I feel dumb. I didn’t even know about that port. Looked like holes for screws on each side of a big port. My bad.

My receiver was set to use analog audio, it worked when HDMI was off. Worked with my SNES too. Odd.

Anyway, it works great with my little adapter and that port. Thanks a lot!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.