Sega NAOMI via OSSC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NoAffinity
    Participant

I shared this over at arcade-projects forums, thought folks here might be interested too.

Finally got around to digging out my NAOMI, which doesn’t currently have a cab to call home, and connected it up to the OSSC via NAOMI VGA out/OSSC AV3. I set the OSSC to my Dreamcast profile w/ line2x and allow upsample 2x, and it worked perfectly. Only a minor tweak to v. backporch needed, depending on the game. Put together a quick video of the setup and captured some attract modes and gameplay, for anyone interested:

I think the coolest thing of this test is that games that I thought were not working on my netboot/pi setup actually are….which is most of them. For all but a handful of capcom games, the screen goes dark once the game loads. What I was able to see with the OSSC, however, is that vertical refresh rate goes from around 59.94 hz (working) to 60.3hz (non-working) once the game boots. And that would result in a loss of sync, I guess? But cycling through the inputs and back to AV3 would cause the OSSC to sync again, and the refresh rate would be back at around 59.94 hz. I should clarify that this was the first time I had tested with the OSSC. I had been testing previously via the Gonbes GBS 8200 you see in the beginning of the video, and a simple 19″ computer screen with some age on it. I’m speculating that the frequency blip would also cause the gonbes to lose sync, but I had no visibility into the fact that the game was actually running, whereas I could see on the OSSC that it still was. Maybe something for others messing around with NAOMI netboot/pi to be aware of, as a potential fix for games that don’t seem to be working via netboot.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Sometimes if the game does weird things with sync the OSSC can lock onto a false signal like that, but yeah changing to another input (an active input is even better) then back again usually sorts it.

vasilas432
    Participant

Great video!

zionfarm
    Participant

Can you do a video going over how it is all connected please? I am having issues getting my Naomi 1 displaying either through the VGA, OSSC etc.

Thx,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.