SNES Diagonal Lines

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    invertednarrow
    Participant

Hello!

I recently got my OSSC up and running with my current setup and everything is looking really nice! I have one little hang up but I’m not even sure if it’s my SNES, my SCART Cable or the OSSC which I doubt.

My SNES has these diagonal lines that are really visible with certain colors. Does anyone know what is causing this or is this just the SNES’s video output? I’ve heard the quality is rough but this looks pretty rough. Also for reference I’m using an NTSC CSync SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables.

SNES Diagonal Lines

Thanks!

Harrumph
    Participant

Looks like you may have an APU-01 board revision, which has severe composite video subcarrier interference on RGB lines. You can fix it by lifting pin 3 on PPU-2, as documented by FBX (and originally Voultar).
    https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43689&p=1312908&hilit=snes+apu+subcarrier#p1312908

invertednarrow
    Participant

Wow thanks so much! I really appreciate the help! Now to lift this pin without breaking my SNES!

Thanks again!

paulb_nl
    Participant

You can lift the pin to fix the diagonal lines but the APU-01 revision also has a lot of noise in the video. You are unable to use reverse LPF due to that because that really amplifies the noise.

It might be better to find another SNES like a 1-CHIP or GPM-01/02 revision.

Harrumph
    Participant

Well from his capture I’d say it looks pretty decent apart from the diagonals.

invertednarrow
    Participant

Hi

Just wanted to thank you again for your help on this topic! I finally got around to opening up my SNES last night and with the help of my partner we lifted the pin and the diagonal lines are gone! Much easier on the eyes now!

SNES Diagonal Lines Fixed

Harrumph
    Participant

Nice! Nothing as satisfying as doing a mod and having it work out well. 🙂

Nico128
    Participant

I had this problem on every Snes I tested with RGB cable (even the official one). I didn’t know they was a mod to fix this issue. I had also this problem on my other consoles (N64 Fra RGB, …)
    When I created a topic here to explain my problem, I’ve been advised to buy a packapunch cable on https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk. And it solved my problem.

Harrumph
    Participant

That’s a slightly different problem though, crosshatching that occurs due to bad shielding in the cable. In this particular case (APU-01 mobo revision), the interference happens on the motherboard itself, and would remain no matter which cable is used.

loose_laces
    Participant

Hi everyone I actually registered to ask a similar question to OP and found the thread before posting. I have the issue with 2 different Super Famicoms using Retro Gaming Cables new universal SNES cable, Robert even sent me the newest revision but the issue persists.

My models are RGB 01 and RGB 02 will this mod work for these revisions too?

Also to lift this pin can I ask how you would need to go about it.

Does it need de soldering or can it be cut then lifted?

Many thanks

Gareth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.