SNES Mini RGB Mod w/ THS7314 – 1.2k Pull-Down Resistors Necessary?

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support SNES Mini RGB Mod w/ THS7314 – 1.2k Pull-Down Resistors Necessary?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NoAffinity
    Participant

So the OSSC, has of course made me realize the inferiority of some of my collection. One weak point was my early model SNES. The blurriness would not stand! So, I grabbed a SNES Mini and just did a quick and dirty RGB upgrade, with a homemade 7314 amp. Per the guide here, 1.2k pull-down resistors are supposed to be used on the inputs:

SNES Mini DIY Amp Bypass

I didn’t have any on-hand, ordered some off ebay, but they won’t be here til Thursday and I got impatient to do the mod.

Well, with the mod complete except for those 1.2k resistors, I’m wondering if they’re really needed. Can someone take a look and give an opinion? Below are the 240p test suite color bars, and a couple screenshots from video captures.

20180522_103718.md.jpg
    1.md.png
    2.md.png

I am also extremely excited that line5x is again working on my TV. Flashing to firmware .81 overrode whatever profile I had been using to achieve line5x on the early model SNES, and I couldn’t get it back (even flashing back to .80). It’s working flawlessly and looking glorious in 256×240 opt. mode and 8:7 ratio. 😀

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Honestly we have started scoping all the SNES consoles we RGB mod here and we’ve found some that required no resistors too. I think it varies a lot.

paulb_nl
    Participant

With the OSSC you do not need the resistors because you can tweak Video Pre-ADC gain and R/G/B gains. Its difficult to see on your photo but it looks like the brightest white bars are distinct so its not clipping.

NoAffinity
    Participant

Good info, thanks guys. I agree, it’s good as it is. Anybody need 100 1.2k ohm resistors? lol More components for the “random may-need-them-someday component” bin.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.