Strange alternating brightness effect on Bomberman 3 water levels (SNES)

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Strange alternating brightness effect on Bomberman 3 water levels (SNES)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    RowanSFC
    Participant

So I started playing Bomberman 3 (SNES) and all seemed fine until I reached World 3: the level theme has a water effect which “swishes” the entire screen. I mention that in case it has something to do with the problem: the brightness of the screen seems to change intermittantly, every few seconds.. it gets darker, then returns to full brightness, then dims again. I tried to capture it with my phone but the camera keeps auto adjusting every time the brightness changes, so the effect doesn’t get picked up! Any ideas guys? I will try again in the coming days to capture a video, if I can change the settings in my phone camera to not auto adjust brightness.

I know the OSSC dims the screen if there is no movement in a long time (like when you pause a game for a while). But this dimming/lightning is happening during normal gameplay.. very strange.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I know the OSSC dims the screen if there is no movement in a long time (like when you pause a game for a while). But this dimming/lightning is happening during normal gameplay.. very strange.

OSSC definitely does not do this, if you’re seeing that it’s probably some picture processing/eye strain reduction thing on your display.

RowanSFC
    Participant

OK I take your point. But.. the OSSC can detect a paused game and applies the dimming affect automatically, right? What (if any) other scenarios is the OSSC automatically trying to detect, if any? Just pause? ….or is it my LG B8 telly which auto dims when a static image is present for ~1min?

I’m pretty sure I have every kind of processing disabled on my LG OLED.. motion eye care, eco, dynamic contrast, etc etc. I just thought its odd how the problem is happening only on the water levels of this one SNES game.. not on other SNES games, not on Wii U, not on TV shows, not on Kodi or Netflix.

I supposed I wondered if the game’s water effect (its like every scanline is moving back and forth 1px ahead of the line above) is triggering interlace detection(?) or a false-positive detection of some other scenario, which might be confusing the OSSC?

I will try to make a video anyway (and try it on another display), as its so curious.

nmalinoski
    Participant

The OSSC has no facility for detecting paused games and dimming the image; chances are, your LG B8 is doing that automatically to avoid burn-in.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Weird changes in brightness like this could also be caused by bad components in the SCART cable, incorrect capacitors or resistors or failing capacitors.

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

This is the Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) setting on your LG B8. All OLEDs have this “feature.” It can be disabled in the Service Menu, but doing so voids your warranty and could (will) result in burn-in happening sooner.

RowanSFC
    Participant

OK thanks for info guys. I tried again to capture the effect on camera but even when I disable various “auto” ISO,brightness,white level etc parameters the camera still seems to auto adjust brightness and therefore not pick up whats happening.

If it was the ABL would it not be applying the dimming effect evenly to the entire screen? The way it happens is really glitchy, and appears in a sort of graduated band, flickering, alternating between the top of half of the screen and dimming of the entire screen.

I don’t have another TV or scart lead to test on at the moment, which sucks.

Fnnrqwin
    Participant

Do you have Black-Frame Insertion set to on on the B8?

RowanSFC
    Participant

Black-Frame Insertion is disabled (its called “Motion Pro” for some reason in the LG menu, not “Black Frame Insertion”). I tried enabling it, just makes the screen darker, but it has no effect on the strange effect I mentioned. Maybe the effect is part of the game… when I pause the game the effect pauses. Anyway, I hope to try on another display soon, when I can. I would bypass the OSSC but LG B8 doesn’t have scart sockets!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.