Trouble with 480p line2x + Panasonic Plasma

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Trouble with 480p line2x + Panasonic Plasma

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    fester
    Participant

Hello,

I recently received my OSSC have spent several days trying to get 480p x2 mode working with my Dreamcast via VGA. I’m starting to get that sinking feeling that my TV just isn’t going to cooperate with it – a Panasonic 1080p plasma (TC-P50G10). I’ve followed the suggestions mentioned at the end of this article, but it didn’t make a difference and I still get a blank screen. I’ve also tried FirebrandX’s suggested Dreamcast optimal timing profile without luck. Any other tips or things I should try before I thrown in the towel?

480p pass-through looks decent, and with scanlines enabled I think it’s an overall improvement from plugging directly into the VGA port on the TV, but I was really hoping to take advantage of the line doubling.

nmalinoski
    Participant

1440×960 is an unusual resolution in the consumer TV world; I wouldn’t expect a non-4K consumer TV to work with it at all. You’re going to need either a secondary scaler to bring the output up to 1080p, or perhaps ditch the OSSC for a DCHDMI mod, which can letterbox 960p in a 1080p frame.

Steo
    Participant

Did you try setting 480p in sampler to VESA 640×480@60? That way you’ll get 1280×960 and there’s a chance that the TV might see it.

Letterboxing 960p into a 1080p window would scale nicer, but a lot of TV’s can’t do that without another scaler of some sort as mentioned above.

nmalinoski
    Participant

Did you try setting 480p in sampler to VESA 640×480@60? That way you’ll get 1280×960 and there’s a chance that the TV might see it.

Might work, but the aspect ratio will be wrong (if that matters to you).

Steo
    Participant

There might be a chance of correcting it slightly by reducing the H. Samplerate but it might reduce the detected resolution and the TV could stop detecting it.

My Dreamcast always has borders at the sides and it looks like 3:2. I sometimes change the settings to stretch it, but because it’s the wrong aspect it does look a little stretched.

fester
    Participant

Thanks guys. I have tried the VESA setting but sadly it didn’t make a difference. It’s looking like I’ll be stuck with pass-through until I upgrade my TV.

Steo
    Participant

My Panasonic was the same when I had it. It wouldn’t do 480p x2 and the best I could get was 3x on 240p consoles by using a 1366×768 tweak. I had no choice but to use 480p passthrough though. Some Panasonic sets did accept 1280×960, mine didn’t and it looks like yours unfortunately doesn’t either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.