Tip regarding Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 – extra cable needed

NewHome Forums Koryuu Transcoder Tip regarding Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 – extra cable needed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    djc6
    Participant

I was following instructions here on how to flash Koryuu firmware: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Koryuu#Recommended_Programmers

And I purchased recommended Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 programmer from Digikey. I’ve spent hours trying to program it on a variety of different PCs and got nowhere:

avrdude.exe: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection status: Unknown status 0x00
    avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
                 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
                 this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

Then I came across this post which mentioned you need to purchase an additional separate cable in order to program Koryuu – the included 6-pin cable is for some other purpose:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1425999&sid=2ec8189c547f07f1d9b8ba45a330b745#p1425999

I was wondering why Zadig would detect the AVR-ISP-MK2 immediately on each PC, but avrdudess couldn’t see the ATmega328P microcontroller unit!

Here is the cable required:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Programmers/AVR-ICSP/

I have one on order, will report back if this resolves my issue.

One other warning using Olimex & Koryuu – make sure to wear your anti-static strap! First I got zapped touching the AVR-ISP-MK2 – I touched one of the exposed jumper pins. Then I got zapped touching the power toggle switch on the Koryuu. Then I got the hint.

AVR-ISP-MK2 and Koryuu

djc6
    Participant

Upgrade worked immediately using the apparently required additional AVR-ICSP cable! FYI, I ran Windows 10 within VMware Fusion on MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 with a 2018 mac mini – since I don’t have a PC. Worked fine.

One annoyance, neither the six pin ribbon cable that came with AVR-ISP-MK2 nor the cable included with AVR-ICSP adapter have red stripe indicating pin 1.

Koryuu firmware upgrade Olimex

megari
    Participant

Hi @djc6,

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry for forgetting to add that crucial piece of information.

I made two tiny improvements to the Wiki page: 1) note that the required type of ICSP cable is probably not supplied with the programmer, 2) link to an imgur gallery showing in detail how to set up things with the Olimex programmer specifically.

If you have the time, please have a quick look if the on-Wiki instructions are sufficiently informative now.

Thank you,
    -megari

djc6
    Participant

megari, The changes look good – Thank You!

I tried to register on the wiki to make similar changes myself, but I never received an approval email.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.