Weird flickering with PS1 on OSSC – (link to videos at bottom)

NewHome Forums OSSC & OSSC Pro OSSC – Discussion and support Weird flickering with PS1 on OSSC – (link to videos at bottom)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sir_Ronson
    Participant

My OSSC arrived yesterday and I was spending time setting it up and putting it through its paces when I noticed some strange flickering going on with my PS1. It’s not a huge deal because from an appropriate viewing distance the flicker is barely noticeable, though I’d still like to know what’s causing it.

It’s most noticeable on the NEW GAME/Continue screen of Final Fantasy VII (see 1st video), particularly around the ‘N’ in ‘NEW GAME’. (And yes, it’s actually there and isn’t an issue with my camera). It’s also visible on text in the game’s menu (2nd video), as well as the Sony Computer Entertainment screen (3rd video).

The console is a PAL PSOne model that has been modded to play NTSC games. I have it connected to the OSSC via a Sync-on-Luma RGB SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables. It’s running the PAL version of Final Fantasy VII, and outputting Line4x (the flickering appears on all line multiplier modes, including 240p/288p passthru).

I also have a GameCube set up (with RGC PAL GameCube SCART) and I haven’t been able to notice any similar flickering with the GameCube.

So I’m kinda stumped as to what the issue may be. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, then I’d be glad to hear them. Could it potentially be a sync issue? (My knowledge on sync, OSSC settings, etc is rather limited).

At any rate, like I said, it’s not that big of a deal, but any information is welcome, nevertheless.

P.S. Sorry about the shoddy camera work. I hope the flickering is still somewhat easy to make out.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-0wcrXbkJKXFiLn9eBEAgz7e4MEaAkiN?usp=sharing

Harrumph
    Participant

Looks like sync jitter, which is normal. This happens when samples are taken close to the edges of a pixel transition, and the value changes because the signal slightly shifts horizontally between frames.
    It could probably be eliminated by minor adjustment of sampling phase (sampling opt. -> advanced timing -> sampling phase).
    Possibly adjustment of sync LPF could also have an effect on this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.