Weird HDMI patterns on LCD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    McBeengs
    Participant

Hi everybody!

Recently I’ve using the OSSC with more than a couple of consoles, and I’ve started to see a unfortunately common pattern with literally everything I plug in:

On my main TV, while the OSSC is in it’s default B/W pattern, awaiting an analog signal to start linedoubling, everything is fine, but as soon as I turn something on, the whole screen starts to show some strange horizontal spinning circles, for a lack of a better term. They are drawn “spinning” frenetically from left to right, and rising down-up.

They are very faint and hard to identify on a moving / colored image, so that explains why it took me so long to notice them, but they are very noticeable. It doesn’t matter what input is in use, nor the input/output resolution or the LineX profile being used. What matters the most is that they only show in my TV! I’ve tried with my monitor and they dissapear. What I’m hoping is that there might be something I can fine tune to get rid of them.

I’ll link a imgur [ https://imgur.com/a/fXm5fL4 ] with some pics of a Wii running the 240p Test Suite off a Original Wii component cable, with the 480p Line2x profile enabled.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

My guess would be some kind of power line interference but it is just a guess. Do they appear in all multiplication modes?

McBeengs
    Participant

Yes, they do appear regardless of the multiplication. Now the power interference is interesting because, while connected to the TV, the OSSC is plugged into a line filter alongside other things, the Wii in the photos being one of them. When I tried it on my monitor, that was another plug (it also was a line filter, but with way fewer things plugged).

I can’t test right now, but if I recall correctly the bigger the input resolution (480i / 480p mainly) the worst the effect, maybe because the OSSC draws more power (just a guess, idk). I’ll investigate this later.

Oh, and the power supply is the official one that VGP sells, forgot to say that.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

The other thing I’ve seen cause patterns like that is bad caps in the actual TV, but then the noise should appear if you connect any HDMI device not just OSSC.

McBeengs
    Participant

I’m back from testing: Nothing… Same thing.

Just to be sure, I’ve plugged the OSSC on the exact same wall plug while testing on my monitor, switch the HDMI cable and even tried the other HDMI input on my display that I use for my HD consoles that I know for a fact works: nada.

For all we know, that must be something with the display itself.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Try DVI output mode, do they still appear?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.