What is wrong with CPS2 RGB signal?

NewHome Forums RetroTink 2 Products What is wrong with CPS2 RGB signal?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Unessential
    Participant

I have no issues when converting the CPS2 RGBS to composite and S-video but always run into problems when converting the video to component. whether I use a JROK encoder, OSSC, or Retrotink RGB to COMP (or a combination into the retrotink 2X) It will either ONLY work on a CRT (but not when into a capture card, or LCD) or it won’t work at all.

The fact that depending on what I use, the signal will sometimes work on CRTs tells me that CPS2 is probably doing something hacky to the RGB signal and probably digital encoders are not interpreting the signal properly.

Weirdly enough, (maybe due to more compression) S-Video and composite ALWAYS works without fail. What the hell is going on with the CPS2 signal that’s stopping component video from working properly? and is there anything I can do to make it work better?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

By CPS2 do you mean Capcom play system 2, the arcade board? If so, which Supergun are you using?

Unessential
    Participant

Yes, by CPS2 I mean the Capcom Play System 2.

I use a lot of different setups, superguns and Arcade cabinets…., I don’t think it matters the problem occurs no matter what It seems. Even with setups that aren’t mine (when i’m running events) Also RGB signal is taken directly from the board through the jamma edge. The decoders/encoders/adapters/upscalers I mention would be those used either in the supergun, or in the chain directly from the board. Whether I run it to a converter through a header, or a SCART, it seems that if there’s a digital decoder in the chain It doens’t know how to handle the signal.

My guess is that the CPS2 does something “hacky” so that it works with CRTs, but not actually to spec and that’s why digital decoders mess up after the conversion to component? (or during the conversion to component?)

Again, I’ve never had problems going from RGB to S-video or composite, I guess because there’s less information, and less for the digital stuff to misinterpret.

That’s what I meant by what’s “wrong” with the cps2 signal when I asked. not that it’s not working for what it was designed for. But, there is probably something out of spec that’s messing things up (“wrong”) when these digital devices try and handle it after conversion to component.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Unessential.
    Unessential
    Participant

After doing more experimentation, and research. My guess is that CPS2 has a really weird resolution (512×262 after overscan) and digital upscalers don’t know what to do with the sync signal?

Trying it with yet another monitor gives “invalid resolution”. And since this is a Retrotink section i’ll reiterate that retrotink 2X gives a blank screen when used in conjunction with RGB2COMP (Again, i’ve tried many combinations, but i’ll stick to Retrotink products). Is there something out there that can trim/pad the video signal to something more standard that upscalers/LCD monitors are more likely to accept?

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

I’ve used mine with an OSSC a fair bit and never had any issues, but I’ve not tried with a transcoder.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.