Need help with setting up OSSC 1.6 for PS2

NewHome Forums OSSC, OSSC Pro and DExx-vd isl OSSC – Discussion and support Need help with setting up OSSC 1.6 for PS2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Japiapian
    Participant

I bought the OSSC 1.6 some months ago looking to improve the video quality of the PS1 game Tomb Raider 2 on my PS2.
    I’ve seen a few videos that show off the OSSC (in particular My Life in Gaming video) and how good it is.
    But no has made a video on how to setup the OSSC which I find to be frustrating.

Details of my setup:

My PS2 is the phat version
    Using composite cable for video and audio which is plugged into the OSSC using a scart adapter.
    HDMI cable with one end plugged into the OSSC and the other end plugged into capture card (Razor Ripsaw)
    A 3.5mm audio splitter which has been plugged into my tv, speakers and the OSSC itself.
    Settings on OSSC are set to default.
    Firmware is 0.78

My issue:
    nothing is displaying on my tv.
    If I unplug the headphone jack on the OSSC, there is no audio but OBS can pick it up which is strange.
    But if I plug the head phone jack in again, I can hear the wave like sounds from the PS2 but sounds quiet and changing the volume does nothing.

Please help me with Setting up the OSSC for PS2.
    I’m finding this very frustrating.

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

OSSC does not support composite video, you need to upgrade to RGB or component.

Japiapian
    Participant

OK, I will switch Component cables.

Can you please help me with what settings I need to select so I can hear the audio so that OBS can pick it up and the settings I need to select for video.

nmalinoski
    Participant

That TRS jack next to the HDMI port (It’s not a headphone jack, because it’s line-level audio, not headphone-amplified) functions as either an audio breakout for AV1 (as shipped) or an audio input for AV2 (by flipping the switch next to it; you’ll need a small, dull knife or a paperclip).

I don’t see anything in the manual about it, but it sounds like having a cable inserted into the AV1 audio breakout jack prevents that audio from being sent over HDMI. If that’s the case, I would leave the breakout unplugged and reevaluate your TV and audio setup.

Why use the audio breakout to run audio in the first place, rather than keeping it on HDMI? What speaker system are you using, and how does it relate/how is it connected to your TV and PC?

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can also go multi out to scart. MLiG episode RGB 210 and retro rgb provide pretty much all the info you could ever want about ps2 output options. Both will give you a good understanding of the options (component vs scart) and most importantly, the best sources for quality cables.

Japiapian
    Participant

@nmalinoski

The speaker systems I’m using are surf sounds speakers (Speakers made a long time ago).

I have switched to component cable for visual and then used a scart adapter to plug in the audio portion of the cable on the OSSC.
    Will then flip the switch to get audio output from AV1.

Still need help with the selecting the correct video settings on the OSSC for PS2.

Another question that I just thought of.
    you have options like linex2, linex3 etc.
    Is passthrough linex1?

Thank you for the help so far guys.
    I’ve had to order another PS2 because when I look at the display for my current PS2, it’s just totally messed up.
    Colours, words all other stuff look all jumbled and flickering like crazy.

I’ll update this thread in a weeks time when the PS2 I just ordered has arrived.`

BuckoA51
    Keymaster

Flickering is normal with the OSSCs deinterlacer, use pass-through mode for interlace if that bothers you. You will increase input lag but improve picture quality.

See the wiki for general recommendations and settings for your consoles – http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

nmalinoski
    Participant

The speaker systems I’m using are surf sounds speakers (Speakers made a long time ago).

I have switched to component cable for visual and then used a scart adapter to plug in the audio portion of the cable on the OSSC.
    Will then flip the switch to get audio output from AV1.

Still need help with the selecting the correct video settings on the OSSC for PS2.

Thank you for the help so far guys.
    I’ve had to order another PS2 because when I look at the display for my current PS2, it’s just totally messed up.
    Colours, words all other stuff look all jumbled and flickering like crazy.

A few things to unpack here. First, does your TV support external speakers? Both my circa-2009 Samsung LCD and Sony Trinitron CRT have left and right RCA outputs for audio for passing through audio to external speakers. If your TV has this functionality (you might need to toggle an “External Speaker” option in the audio settings), I recommend you use this to send audio to your speaker system if you aren’t already. This way, any audio you send to your TV over HDMI will play on your speaker system.

Next, the best way to handle audio for the component input, AV2, is by using a female RCA to male 3.5mm TRS adapter, like this one, to connect audio to that 3.5mm TRS jack you’ve been using as an output. You will need to flip the aforementioned switch next to this jack (pull it toward you) in order to get it to function as an input for AV2. This will add the audio from AV2 to the HDMI signal.

Regarding the shakiness and color issues, the bob deinterlace for 480i content has that effect. Unfortunately, that’s the best deinterlacing you’re going to get out of the OSSC; anything better is going to require a different kind of framebuffer that the current OSSC does not have.

And, lastly, the color issue is probably due to mismatched video mode settings between the PS2 and the OSSC. If everything looks kind of green, it’s because the PS2 is outputting YPbPr, but you have the OSSC configured for RGBS or RGsB. Since you’re using a component cable, make sure both the Component Video setting on the PS2 is set to YPbPr and the input on the OSSC is set to AV2 YPbPr.

Japiapian
    Participant

When I said “Colours, words all other stuff look all jumbled and flickering like crazy” I should have mentioned that I plugged the PS2 directly into the tv with a component cable and this is what I got. I’ll link an image.PS2 displaying all kinds of messed up.

2nd picture

Japiapian
    Participant

Heya guys, here’s an update.

I reset the settings on the OSSC 1.6 back to default and switched to component.

Create a new source on OBS and set the resolution to 720 x 576 (PS2 menu’s default resolution) which the OSSC picked up.

For the audio portion, I have ordered a 3.5 mm Male Stereo Plug to 2 RCA Female Jack Audio Y Splitter Adapter for the audio part of the component cable.

This site provides info on settings needed

OSSC 1.6 Guide

There are two I require assistance with.

1. Do I need to enable a setting in the OSSC that will allow OBS to pick up the sound?

2. what settings do I need to change in the OSSC to get rid of these weird white lines.

If you guys can help me with these last two bits then I will be ready to start streaming again on Twitch TV.

Japiapian
    Participant

nmalinoski
    Participant

…switched to component.

1. Do I need to enable a setting in the OSSC that will allow OBS to pick up the sound?

I’m not sure if it’s mentioned in the manual, but the OSSC ships with that TRS jack next to the HDMI port configured as an audio breakout for AV1. You need to hook the little switch next to the HDMI port with a paperclip or a butter knife or something and flip it to get that jack to function as audio input for AV2.

2. what settings do I need to change in the OSSC to get rid of these weird white lines.

There don’t appear to be any white lines in those last two screenshots, weird or otherwise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think he’s referring to the top of the image, which can be seen best on post #22198. It appears to be interference or snow. Could be the result of crappy component cables. Where did you get the cables from?

And, just to confirm the configuration, you now have PS2 multi-out going to component input (AV2) on the OSSC? And you’re waiting for the audio adapter to arrive, in order to deal with the audio.

You also called it a Y-splitter. Is it a splitter or a 3.5mm to RCA adapter? Please post a link of what you bought.

Also, to confirm, you have the output set to YPbPr, and AV2 set to RGsB?

nmalinoski
    Participant

Okay, I see it now; it looks pretty subtle in the screenshot, but it’s there. It definitely could be from crappy component cables.

Unfortunately, a lot of TRS to 2x RCA adapters are referred to as splitters, even though they’re not, because they look like mono splitters.

As for his settings, the screenshots look correct to me, so he’s definitely got both ends set to YPbPr. If the PS2 was set to RGB, he’d get no image, because the system menus are in 480i/576i, so RGBS, and both the cable and AV2 don’t support external sync; and, if AV2 was set to RGsB and the PS2 set to YPbPr, the image would be almost entirely green, because almost all the image data with YPbPr would be fed to the Green line.

Japiapian
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.